I love second shooting and am available year-round to second shoot and associate shoot. I am based in Southern RI and I prefer to stay in the Newport/Providence/Westerly triangle for second shooting. I’m open to any travel for associate shooting, including all of Rhode Island, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and beyond.
My personal style is heavier on the documentary side with a bit of traditional mixed in, such as the posed family and couple portraits. I love adventurous couples who don’t mind a bit of exploration to get to a great portrait location. I have literally climbed a small mountain with my camera bag, kneeled in the ocean, and trekked through a forest to get the portraits I want!
I am dependable and perpetually early, and I emphasize communication with the main shooter throughout the day. I will notify you when I am on my way, have arrived at the venue, and will alert you if anything occurs throughout my time at the event that I think you should know about!
I shoot RAW on dual cards and prefer using the primary’s cards in one of my camera’s slots so I can hand those cards over at the end of the night and be done with the job.
I am familiar with setting up and using off-camera flash, including Canon, Godox, and Yonguo brands of speedlights. If you have a tight timeline at the start of the reception, I can set up your OCF in the reception venue and have it all ready to go so all you need to do is turn your speedlight on and go when you get there.
Hourly second shooting rate: starting at $75
Hourly associate shooting rate: starting at $150
Let's Work Together
I enjoy collaborating with other photographers and accept associate shooting and second shooting jobs throughout the year. Have an upcoming event that you need help with? I'd love to chat.
Things I Love
- Getting creative. If it’s cool with you, I’ll do some double exposures and take out my tilt/shift for a few portrait shots, after I’ve got all the standard shots of course.
- Setting up my lights. I always use OCF for my own weddings and unless you don’t want me to, I’ll bring my lights and light stands to second shooting jobs too.
- Fun group shots. I love getting the groups animated and having a good time together.
- Candids at cocktail hour. I am not afraid to go up to a big group and ask them if they’d like a photo together. If you want grip-and-grins, you will get plenty.
- Portraits of the couple. I will shoot alternative angles of whatever you have them do, and can chime in with prompts/poses towards the end if you want.
Things I do not love:
- Table shots. Enough said.
- Clicking just for the heck of it. I really do not enjoy taking a zillion photos. If it’s a great shot, I’ll take it. I’ll probably take 2-3 frames in case I screw up the focus on the first one. But other than that, I’m not going to deliver 20 frames of the same image. I find culling very tedious and I’m sure you do too.
- Badly behaved guests. I do not put up with any harassment or poor treatment. I wouldn’t expect that of my own second shooters. I will be diplomatic about it, but I will tell them I’ve had enough, let you know there’s an issue, and then avoid them at all costs.
Cameras, Lenses, and Lighting
I shoot Canon and have steadily upgraded my equipment over the years as my business grew. I now shoot full-frame with two Canon bodies, and keep a third backup body just in case. Since I like to shoot prime, I typically have both bodies going at once; each with a different lens on it. I have programmed each body to have a different file name sequence so they are easy to separate/tell apart in post.
2 x Canon R6 (dual card slot, full frame mirrorless body)
I shoot mostly prime but have some zoom lenses in the mix.
Canon 85mm f/1.2L RF
Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ART
Canon 50mm f/1.2 RF
Canon 100mm f/2 2.8L Macro
Canon 70-200 f/2.8L RF
Canon 24-70 f/2.8L RF
Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8 ART
Canon 45mm f/2.8 TS-E (Tilt/Shift)
Sigma 135mm 1.8 ART
After working exclusively with Canon Speedlites for about 6 years, I upgraded my gear to Godox in 2018. I love the li-ion batteries, super fast recycle time and reliability.
Godox V860ii x4
Godox V860iii x1
Godox AD300Pro x2
MagMod Maxbox Pro 24 Octa x2
Manfrotto 10′ quick stands x3